Saturday, June 6, 2009

D-Day

My youngest brother Ryan (11 years old) has always loved history, especially WW2. My family jokes that he's a young historian, and is almost daily found watching the History Channel, or pouring over a WW2 book. I called him this evening to remind him that today was the 65 anniversary of D-Day, and as soon as I finished telling him he said, "Duh, Kristen...June 6, 1944. It's been all over the news today." I wasn't surprised that he already knew this, but I had to laugh at his response.

I've been reading a lot of the personal accounts that are spread throughout the media today. The stories are so touching, that despite sitting in the middle of a noisy ER, I was moved to tears. I'm so thankful that we had such brave young men fighting for our country during this time. I can't imagine the horrors that still haunt them. I have the same respect for those currently serving in our military. We would not be a free nation without them.

No comments: