Sunday, June 29, 2008

USS North Carolina

My youngest brother Ryan, (10) is obsessed with all things WWII. He can rattle off just about any stat. And I'm confident that he can tell you in detail what happened during most of the battles right down to where each family member served. My Gramp Keller went with us, and it turned out to be an emotional experience for him as a veteran. So, when the opportunity presented itself to take a tour of the USS North Carolina, we knew it was a must. I was truly amazed at how large the ship was. We were only able to tour 9 levels, and I honestly can't imagine how much larger it had to be. It was a floating city! Everything a person could ever need had a special place on this boat. I'm so thankful I got to experience it. And I'm also extremely thankful for the amazing men and women serving our great country!

Taking aim on the 16 in big guns.

Ryan and I tried out the sleeping arrangements, which were surprisingly comfortable.

The fam on deck...Dad is missing because he was snapping the photo.

I took this and wondered how many times it was used to aim the Chicago Piano gun.


You can see the rest of our photos, including the freaky operating room on the ship...http://picasaweb.google.com/kristennporter

No comments: