Monday, November 10, 2008

Kermit the Frog, and Miss Piggy...

I walked into my zoology lab this morning, not really focused on zoology, but more so on my biochem exam I was having later in the day. I had studied all weekend for biochem, and still felt unsure of the information. (I think I did okay. Definitely a B.) Needless to say, my mind was thinking about biochemical pathways, and I neglected to prepare myself for lab. Anyway, I sat down, and pulled out my lab material, only to hear that today we would begin dissecting our frogs. Ugh! First a squid, then a shark, now a frog? I understand the importance of dissecting animals, and learning how they work. But for the record, I don't like to do it. I HATE the smell of formaldehyde. I can smell it hours after class ended, and I wear gloves! Well, the pleasant thing about today was that we not only had to look at external anatomy, but we had to skin our frog! I repeat, SKIN THE FROG! I thought, "What? Skin Kermit the Frog? A childhood icon? A cute, innocent, harmless frog?" Ironically, the next animal we dissect is a fetal pig. A frog and a pig? Is that someones idea of a twisted Muppet joke? I'm still feeling guilty about my poor froggie. All this to get a stupid degree.

My thoughts exactly! (Not advocating PETA!)

No comments: